What will you learn?
- 9Understand the GDPR through easy explanations, real-world examples and fictive scenarios;
- 9Get a clear picture of rights and obligations under the GDPR;
- 9How to translate the law to your daily life and work;
- 2 course days
- 8 hours of self study
- €1.395,- excluding VAT
Eugenie has experience in many areas of IT, such as IT consultant, project leader (software developer and implementation), purchaser, IT policy officer, etc. Since 2010, she has increasingly focused on the information security aspects of IT. She fulfills the role of Security Officer and / or Data Protection Officer for various organizations and companies. She also supports organizations with preparations for certification against ISO 27001 and / or NEN 7510.
MIM, S-CISO, S-DPO
Information security has been an important part of my work since 1996. I approach information security from the angle of information management. Both commercial and technical aspects are discussed, but the human aspects are certainly not forgotten. I have worked a lot on a project basis and carried out interim assignments and have worked as a risk manager / CISO for more than 8 years.
CISM, CISA, CISSP
Dennis Zandvliet started his career as an assistant accountant. After a few years, Dennis made the switch to IT. Through programming and management, Dennis is now a freelance consultant with over 13 years of experience in information security, privacy and Identity & Access Management. Dennis advises on legislation and regulations, certification and risk management. In the operational field, Dennis also supports organizations to move to a higher level.
Dennis often acts as a liaison between different stakeholders in organizations. With his hands-on-the-sleeves setting he gets things done.
About the Privacy & Data Protection Foundation course
Data protection and data breach notification are no longer a media relations issue or opportunistic PR choice: It is law, with fines amounting up to 4% of the organization’s worldwide turnover. Not complying to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) can lead to a financial drain equal to breaking EU Competition Law; a devastating amount for any business. The GDPR affects almost every business that collects or handles the personal data of any European citizen.
Privacy laws & regulations (including GDPR) are increasingly affecting all companies, and Data Protection Authorities are increasingly monitoring their compliance. It is therefore important that your organization deals with this in the right way. In this course, you will receive an overview of the obligations of your organization (and of the rights of those from whom you’re collecting personal data). At the end of the course, you’ll be able to translate the law to your daily life and work.
This entry level course evaluates the very basics of data protection, no prior knowledge is required to participate. Already familiar with the basics and looking for a practical training that evaluates the day to day activities of a Data Protection Officer? Maybe the Privacy & Data Protection Practitioner course would be a better choice for you. When in doubt, contact us.
Who should attend?
The Privacy & Data Protection Foundation course is intended for anyone who deals with collecting, editing or managing personal data in their work and / or ensuring its compliance. For example, think of:
- Future data protection officers
- Marketing professionals
- Call center employees
- Administrative departments
- Financial professionals
Classroom training or Online Live?
- Classroom Training: You’re our guest and threated as such
When you take our Classroom Training you are our guest, and that’s how we’ll threat you! You’ll train in an inspiring training environment handpicked based on the highest quality standards. All trainings include a delicious lunch, when you register to your training you can indicate any dietary requirements that we should consider.
- Online Live Training: Prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work
For those of you preferring an online experience, we offer Online Live Training through the SECO – Institute Online Learning Platform based on BigBlueButton, a secure platform specifically designed for Online Training that requires collaboration and (hands on) exercises. Course materials are delivered via a designated Student Portal prior to your training. For the SECO – Institute trainings, the examination is also conducted online via a certified Proctor. Everything you need to prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work.
* Our classroom trainings are delivered in Dutch or English, depending on the composition of the student group
* Our Online Live Trainings are delivered either in Dutch or in English. Make sure that you register for the right class!
The following is included:
- The SECO-Institute course material
- The SECO- Institute book: Understanding the GDPR
- The online SECO Institute Privacy & Data Protection Foundation exam
- 1 year free SECO-Membership when you pass the exam
- A delicious lunch
Learning objectives throughout the course
- Historical and legal context of European privacy and data protection legislation and the GDPR, and define the essential terms and concepts employed
- GDPR’s material and territorial scope, what information and what activities the GDPR applies to and in what situations the GDPR applies within and outside the EU/EEA
- Main provisions of the GDPR and their consequences for individuals and businesses
- General principles that govern the processing of personal data
- Restrictions on the processing of personal data
- Obligations of controllers and processors
- How compliance with the GDPR can be demonstrated to the supervisory authority
- The consequences of non-compliance
- Where to find additional information and resources about specific provisions
About the Exam
The Data Protection Foundation course is the first level of the SECO-Institute Data Protection Certification Track and sets the stage for the Privacy & Data Protection Practitioner course. The exam is included in your training fee but governed and carried out by the SECO – Institute. Upon successful completion, you will receive the S-DPF certification title and a digital badge.
- Exam language: English
- Type of exam: online exam (you must reserve this exam yourself)
- Type of questions: 40 multiple choice questions
- Exam time: 60 minutes
About the certificate
The Privacy & Data Protection Foundation certification exam covers a set of competencies that are essential for DPOs as well as any professional who handles personal data on a regular basis. By passing the exam and earning a SECO-Privacy & Data Protection Foundation (S-PDPF) certificate, you demonstrate the following data protection competencies:
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the GDPR and the opinions of the Article 29 Working Party (European Data Protection Board);
- Determine which GDPR provisions are relevant to your organisation;
- Identify the controller, the processor, and the competent supervisory authority;
- Understand the DPO’s role, tasks and responsibilities;
- Understand the processing principles and know how to give them effect in practice;
- Identify a lawful basis for the processing;
- Assess the compatibility of processing purposes;
- Know on what conditions you may process sensitive data and other specific categories of personal data;
- Understand the data subject’s rights and their limitations;
- Determine what information must be provided to data subjects;
- Know how to handle data subject requests and on what grounds a request may be rejected;
- Recognise extra-EEA data transfers and know what requirements they must meet;
- Know what to include in a processing register;
- Identify “appropriate” technical and organisational measures to ensure the protection of personal data;
- Know how to document and notify data breaches;
- Determine whether a processing activity requires a data protection impact assessment (DPIA);
- Know what documents you must create and maintain to demonstrate compliance to the supervisory authority..
- What are the benefits of an S-ITSE certificate?
What are the benefits of an S-DPF certificate?
An S-DPDF certificate demonstrates that you truly understand how to handle personal data in a GDPR-compliant way. In today’s increasingly digitalised and privacy-aware society, this ability is highly valued by employers across every sector, from IT to banking and beyond. Due to the persistent labour market demand for GDPR-expertise, obtaining an S-PDPF title will provide you with tremendous opportunities for career advancement in any profession that involves personal data.
If you are considering a career in privacy & data protection, S-PDPF is the first step towards opening yourself to a constantly expanding range of data protection jobs. Depending on your interests and background, S-DPDF may set you on the path to becoming a Data Protection Officer, a GDPR consultant, a GDPR project manager, a privacy consultant, or a compliance officer.
If you are an IT or information security professional, S-PDPF may be your first milestone to success in one of the abundant IT and cybersecurity roles that require a working knowledge of the GDPR. Adding clearly defined data protection skills to your profile will help you advance your career as a security manager, an IT security consultant, a security architect, or a data engineer.
If you work with personal data in any other field (such as healthcare, education, HR, marketing or sales), S-PDPF is your opportunity to give yourself a competitive advantage over your fellow professionals and improve your career prospects. Demonstrating an excellent understanding of the GDPR will likely increase your chances of getting a new job or transitioning to a higher position within your field.
- Course times: 9 am to approximately 4:30 pm. The coffee is ready at 8:30.
- Lunch is included and consists of a buffet with, among other things, fresh sandwiches. Do you have allergies or dietary requirements? Please communicate this in time.
- Training location:
Quinten Matsijslei 25
- By participating in a course or training you agree with our terms and conditions
Privacy & Data Protection FoundationStarts: 13-10-2020
- Online Live Training CET
- Language: English
- All Dates: 13 and 14 oct 2020
Book as incompany or stay up to date
Book as incompanyStart date in accordance
- At your location or ours
Not right nowbut keep me posted
- Enter your e-mail and preferences