What will you learn?
- 9Build your IT security knowledge solid and from the ground up without having to immerse yourself deeply in information technology;
- 9What components make up an IT infrastructure and what vulnerabilities each component may have;
- 9How attackers exploit common vulnerabilities and what tools, techniques and counter measures you can use to prevent exploitation;
- 2 course days
- 8 hours of self study
- €1.395,- excluding VAT
IT infrastructure &
Arjen has been working as a network infrastructure consultant since 1997. Based on his expertise, he advises and designs data networks in which security was a big part of the designs. In recent years, Arjen has been active as a freelancer so that he builds up a broad knowledge of the latest developments regarding (software defined) networks and their security by being active within several organizations.
Because Arjen has worked as a consultant in many large and small organizations, he understands how the theory works out in practice. Adding this information brings the content to life and informative discussions are created during the training sessions.
Rob van der Staaij
Identity & Access Management
Rob has more than twenty years of experience in many organizations and sectors. Rob is also affiliated with the University of Groningen, Faculty of Law, Department of Criminal Law and Criminology, where he focuses on cyber crime and cyber security. He gives presentations at international conferences and has published dozens of articles and various books.
Rob is analytical and has a broad knowledge of cyber security. He finds it a challenge to explain complex subjects in clear and simple language.
Theo Heinsbroek has over 10 years of experience in the field of information security, identity and access management, risk management and IT audit. In these areas, Theo advises clients on compliance with laws and regulations, risk management and operational effectiveness. Larger organizations in various branches in the Netherlands belong to the clientele. SeKuRiGo helps organizations make strategic and tactical choices in the areas of information security, identity and access management, risk management and IT audit.
About the IT-Security Foundation course
Information security rests on three pillars: People, processes and technology. None of the three can do without the rest. But for people with no technical background, the technical pillar can be quite difficult. The IT- world uses its own specific tools and jargon, making a conversation with people from that world seem like a game in ‘Babylonian Confusion of Tongues’.
This course provides you with a comprehensive introduction to IT – security. You will learn what components make up an IT infrastructure and what vulnerabilities each component may have. You will also understand how attackers exploit common vulnerabilities and what tools you can use to prevent exploitation. At the end of the course, you will have a global understanding of IT security without having to immerse yourself deeply in information technology. Are you pursuing a security career?: This training also sets the stage for the Practitioner training, where you will accomplish hands-on assignments, such as designing a security architecture and writing a patch management policy.
This is an entry-level course. No previous knowledge or experience is required. Familiarity with the most commonly used IT terms is recommended.
The course is suitable for absolute beginners with a basic knowledge of computers and technology. If you already have a good understanding of IT security principles and you are interested in practicing a Security Manger’s tasks, we advise you to register for the IT-Security Practitioner course instead.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for officials who have a limited technical background but should be able to engage with technicians in their work; network or system administrators with ambitions to start a career in IT security, and aspiring information security professionals that lack technical security knowledge. This includes but is not limited to:
- Future information security officers
- IT- Risk officers
- IT Governance officers
- Line managers
- Service Management officers
- Helpdesk employees
Classroom training or Online Live?
- Classroom Training: You’re our guest and threated as such
When you take our Classroom Training you are our guest, and that’s how we’ll threat you! You’ll train in an inspiring training environment handpicked based on the highest quality standards. All trainings include a delicious lunch, when you register to your training you can indicate any dietary requirements that we should consider.
- Online Live Training: Prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work
For those of you preferring an online experience, we offer Online Live Training through the SECO – Institute Online Learning Platform based on BigBlueButton, a secure platform specifically designed for Online Training that requires collaboration and (hands on) exercises. Course materials are delivered via a designated Student Portal prior to your training. For the SECO – Institute trainings, the examination is also conducted online via a certified Proctor. Everything you need to prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work.
* Our classroom trainings are delivered in Dutch or English, depending on the composition of the student group
* Our Online Live Trainings are delivered either in Dutch or in English. Make sure that you register for the right class!
The following is included:
- The SECO-Institute course material
- The online SECO Institute IT-Security Foundation exam
- 1 year free SECO-Membership when you pass the exam
- A delicious lunch
Topics in this course
- Operating Systems
- Modes of cooperation
- Types of software
- Common causes of vulnerabilities
- Mitigations for common vulnerabilities
- Networking devices
- Network connections
- Network models
- Network architecture
- Network addressing
- Types of cryptography
- Public Key Infrastructure
- Major cryptographic network protocols
- Major cryptographic applications
IT security administration
- Know your enemy: Hacking as a process, Tool of their trade
- Know yourself: IT security administration as a process, Tool of our trad
About the ExamThe IT-Security Foundation course is the first level of the SECO-Institute IT Security Track and sets the stage for the IT-Security Practitioner course. The exam is included in your training fee but governed and carried out by the SECO – Institute. Upon successful completion, you will receive the S-ITSF certification title and a digital badge.
- Exam language: English
- Type of exam: online exam (you must reserve this exam yourself)
- Type of questions: 40 multiple choice questions
- Exam time: 60 minutes
About the certificateBy passing the ITSF certification exam and earning a SECO-IT-Security Foundation (S-ITSF) certificate, you demonstrate that you:
- Have a basic understanding of computer architecture;
- Understand common hardware vulnerabilities and security measures;
- Understand operating system architecture and operating system vulnerabilities;
- Can identify effective security measures against malicious software;
- Have a good understanding of TCP/ IP networking;
- Understand the basics of network attacks and countermeasures;
- Have a good understanding of software and application vulnerabilities (OWASP top 10);
- Understand the basics of database vulnerabilities and countermeasures;
- Understand the fundamentals of symmetric, asymmetric and hybrid encryption;
- Understand how digital signatures and Public Key Infrastructures work;
- Understand how Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) work;
- Understand the importance of TLS, SSL, IPsec, S/MIME and Pretty Good Privacy;
- Understand the fundamentals of identity and access management;
- Understand the risks involved in using the Cloud;
- Understand the security threat landscape (attackers, attack tools and attack methods).
What are the benefits of an S-ITSE certificate?An S-ITSF certificate demonstrates that you have an overall understanding of IT security challenges and best-practice remedies. If you are considering a career in IT security, S-ITSF provides you with an excellent opportunity to enter the security industry and advance your skills with higher-level security trainings. S-ITSF also has benefits for managers whose work involves regular communication with IT (security) specialists and / or if their business decisions affect the IT domain. The ability to perceive IT security risks and liaise with security professionals can considerably improve your efficacy as a manager. Depending on your interests and background, S-ITSF may even open you to new career opportunities – for example, a project or change management position in an IT or information security-related environment.
- Course times: 9 am to approximately 4:30 pm. The coffee is ready at 8:30.
- Lunch is included and consists of a buffet with, among other things, fresh sandwiches. Do you have allergies or dietary requirements? Please communicate this in time.
- Training location:
Quinten Matsijslei 25
- By participating in a course or training you agree with our terms and conditions
Book as incompany or stay up to date
Book as incompanyStart date in accordance
- At your location or ours
Not right nowbut keep me posted
- Enter your e-mail and preferences