What will you learn?
- 9Understand the Technology behind the Dark Web;
- 9Use Tor to discover hidden sites and services;
- 9Grasp the business dynamics of Dark Markets;
- 9Gain insight into Dark Web investigations through real-world incidents;
- 9Thorough grounding in Bitcoin transactions, Bitcoin mining and Bitcoin laundering;
- 2 course days
- 8 hours of self study
- €1.395,- excluding VAT
Bas van den Berg
Bas started out as a developer and moved then to a solution architect and later on to enterprise architect. Security always had his interest so he changed to his current position as a security consultant. His main focus is on secure development and security assessment. Combining this with his good understanding of people and how they think, his goal is to create a better and more secure world.
About the Dark Web Foundation course
Dark Web Foundation is a course for those interested in learning how to access and navigate the Dark Web. The course draws on the practical experience of high-level cybersecurity experts and Dark Web researchers. The learning material was co-developed with the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO), the first scientific research institute to partner with INTERPOL to combat cybercrime.
During the course, you will understand the technology behind the Dark Web, and you will use Tor to discover hidden sites and services. You will grasp the business dynamics of Dark Markets, and you will gain insight into Dark Web investigations through real-world incidents. Finally, you will get a thorough grounding in Bitcoin transactions, Bitcoin mining and Bitcoin laundering.
This training is of interest for both technical and non-technical security specialists:
- IT and information security professionals with ambitions to get into Dark Web monitoring will value learning about the foundations of Darkweb, as facilitator of hidden cyber threats facing their organization.
- Participants from law enforcement (police, justice, defence, fiscal authorities and investigators) will benefit from insights on how criminal activities evolve on the hidden part of the web, and will gain insight in crypto currency used for money transactions, money laundering etc.
- For the same reason, this training has also received keen interest from policy makers and government officials in their efforts to develop legislation to combat crime in the digital era.
Classroom training or Online Live?
- Classroom Training: You’re our guest and threated as such
When you take our Classroom Training you are our guest, and that’s how we’ll threat you! You’ll train in an inspiring training environment handpicked based on the highest quality standards. All trainings include a delicious lunch, when you register to your training you can indicate any dietary requirements that we should consider.
- Online Live Training: Prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work
For those of you preferring an online experience, we offer Online Live Training through the SECO – Institute Online Learning Platform based on BigBlueButton, a secure platform specifically designed for Online Training that requires collaboration and (hands on) exercises. Course materials are delivered via a designated Student Portal prior to your training. For the SECO – Institute trainings, the examination is also conducted online via a certified Proctor. Everything you need to prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work.
* Our classroom trainings are delivered in Dutch or English, depending on the composition of the student group
* Our Online Live Trainings are delivered either in Dutch or in English. Make sure that you register for the right class!
The following is included:
- The SECO-Institute course material
- A free “S-DCF” digital badge can be requested at SECO-Institute when you pass the exam
- The online SECO Institute Dark Web Foundation exam
- A delicious lunch
Module 1: Introduction to the Dark Web
- History of the Dark Web and the Tor project
- Understanding Dark Markets
- Finding Deep/Dark Web sites
Module 2: The Onion Router (Tor)
- Identifiable information
- Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) and cryptographic principles
- Onion routing
- Perfect forwarding secrecy
- The Tor browser
Module 3: Bitcoin and Blockchain
- Bitcoin basics
- Blockchain technology
- Advanced wallets
- Bitcoin laundering and mixing services
About the Exam
The Dark Web Foundation course is the first level of the SECO Institute Cyber Security & Governance Certification program.
The Dark Web Foundation exam tests your real-world Dark Web skills. The exam is administered externally by SECO Institute and consists of multiple choice questions. After successful completion of the exam you will receive the “Dark Web Foundation” certificate and you can request your digital S-DCF badge from SECO-Institute.
- Exam language: choice between English and Dutch
- Type of exam: online exam (you must reserve this exam yourself)
- Type of questions: 40 multiple choice questions
- Exam time: 60 minutes
About the certificate
By passing the DWF certification exam and earning a SECO-Dark Web Foundation (S-DWF) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to:
- Understand how privacy-enhancing technologies are used on the Dark Web;
- Understand how onion routing works;
- Install and use the Tor browser;
- Find Dark Markets and hidden services;
- Understand the business dynamics of Dark Markets;
- Understand the fundamental principles of blockchain technology;
- Understand how Bitcoin transactions work;
- Understand how Bitcoin laundering works.
What are the benefits of an S-DWF certificate?
An S-DWF certificate demonstrates that you can use the Dark Web in a secure way.
If you are an IT or information security professional, demonstrating that you can navigate the Dark Web securely is an excellent way to further advance your career. In today’s information security, proactively monitoring the Dark Web for potential vulnerabilities and new exploits is an essential defensive tool. In 2017 Recorded Future, a cybersecurity company, revealed that from over 12,500 disclosed vulnerabilities, more than 75 % were reported on the Dark Web before they were published in NIST’s centralised National Vulnerability Database (NVD). As the Dark Web grows, there will be an increasing need for skilled and qualified professionals who can use it for threat anticipation and prevention.
For police officers and law enforcement personnel, Dark Web skills will become essential in the 21st century. As the Dark Web’s user base expands, law enforcement will increasingly invest in staffing and training to combat criminal cyber activity.
- Course times: 9 am to approximately 4:30 pm. The coffee is ready at 8:30.
- Lunch is included and consists of a buffet with, among other things, fresh sandwiches. Do you have allergies or dietary requirements? Please communicate this in time.
- Training location:
Quinten Matsijslei 25
- By participating in a course or training you agree with our terms and conditions
Book as incompany or stay up to date
Book as incompanyStart date in accordance
- At your location or ours
Not right nowbut keep me posted
- Enter your e-mail and preferences