What will you learn?
- 9Prepare yourself for a successful progression into a crisis management role
- 9Implement a crisis management and communications process in your organization
- 9Practice your crisis management and crisis communications skills with increasingly complex crisis scenarios and stakeholders
- 9Set up an internal crisis organisation and handle a crisis in line with crisis management best practices
- 9Develop, set up and run a simulated, interactive tabletop exercise that tests your organization’s capabilities to respond to a crisis
- 5 course days
- 35 hours of self study
- €3.450,- excluding VAT
Mariette is passionate about her profession. One of her talents is to translate strategy into a concrete action plan. She is pragmatic and result driven. During her lessons she enthusiastically shares her knowledge about spokesperson.
The knowledge that Mariette shares during her training is relevant because people often find it difficult to deal with the press in crisis, because you do not always have immediate control over the situation and you mainly want to handle the information with care. With the tips and tricks that are given, you can check the situation faster and have a pleasant contact with the press.
Michiel: “A crisis is one of the most vulnerable and most challenging moments of a government or private organization. Being prepared and successful at the time is not only an ethical duty, but also essential for the future of the organization. Increasing vulnerability and complexity of public and / or private organizations require optimal deployment, including in the form of education, training and practice! That is why I am very close to the students during the courses and try to provide answers and / or solutions for their specific questions and experiences as much as possible!”
Sjoerd van der Schuit
After having worked as an army officer for about 20 years, Sjoerd made the switch to the fire department in The Hague as deputy commander. He then became Regional Commander in Limburg North. In the latter position he has combated many crises and disasters. As an operational leader, he has extensive experience in dealing with crisis and advising local administrations and professionals.
Sjoerd is a professional with a lot of experience in how to deal with a crisis from the first moment until well into the recovery phase when the recovery of normal business is important.
About the Crisis Management Practitioner course
Crisis Management Practitioner (CMP) prepares you for successful progression into a crisis management role. In this course, you will learn the essentials of implementing a crisis management and communications process in your organisation, and you will practice your crisis management and crisis communications skills with increasingly complex crisis scenarios. You will learn hands on how to develop and run simulated, interactive tabletop exercises to tests the organization’s Crisis Management Plan and its capability to respond to an emergency, disaster or crisis situation. At the end of the course, you will be able to set up an internal crisis organisation and handle a crisis in line with crisis management best practices.
Who should attend?
This training is particularly suitable for professionals who are actively working towards a career as a crisis manager, crisis communications specialist, a crisis communications spokesperson, or a crisis coordinator. The training is also of interest to those with an understanding of fundamental crisis management terms and concepts and are looking to gain practical skills, for instance as a member of the Crisis Management Team. Typical attendees include experts in security, incident response, human resources, facility management, communications and public relations professionals, and senior executives looking to overlook the implementation of crisis management and work with / manage a Crisis Management Team during a Crisis.
A good understanding of fundamental crisis management terms and concepts is required. We’d recommend you taking the Crisis Management Foundation training should you lack this.
Classroom training or Online Live?
- Classroom Training: You’re our guest and threated as such
When you take our Classroom Training you are our guest, and that’s how we’ll threat you! You’ll train in an inspiring training environment handpicked based on the highest quality standards. All trainings include a delicious lunch, when you register to your training you can indicate any dietary requirements that we should consider.
- Online Live Training: Prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work
For those of you preferring an online experience, we offer Online Live Training through the SECO – Institute Online Learning Platform based on BigBlueButton, a secure platform specifically designed for Online Training that requires collaboration and (hands on) exercises. Course materials are delivered via a designated Student Portal prior to your training. For the SECO – Institute trainings, the examination is also conducted online via a certified Proctor. Everything you need to prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work.
* Our classroom trainings are delivered in Dutch or English, depending on the composition of the student group
* Our Online Live Trainings are delivered either in Dutch or in English. Make sure that you register for the right class!
At the start of the training you will receive the course materials through our student portal. The course materials are in English and the language during the course is either English or Dutch, depending on the students participating.
The following is included:
- The SECO-Institute course material
- The online SECO Institute Crisis Management Practitioner exam
- 1 year free SECO-Membership when you pass the exam
- A delicious lunch
Module 1: Introduction to Crisis Management
- Understanding crises and their impact
- Incidents vs crises
- The way crises emerge and progress
- Organisational environment of crisis management
- Relationship between crisis situations and stress
- Crisis methodologies to use in a crisis situation
Module 2: Setting Up the Crisis Management Organisation
- Establishing and activating the Crisis Management Organisation (CMO)
- Roles and responsibilities in the CMO
- Avoiding chaos with crisis control methodology
- Communication between all CMO teams
Module 3: Managing a Crisis
- Recognising and applying crisis strategies
- Working with crisis control methodology
- Information analysis, triage and contextualisation for good decision-making
- Crisis Management Team (CMT) meeting structure and CMT meetings in practice
Module 4: Communication Between Teams in the Crisis Management Organisation
- Hierarchical structure of the Crisis Management Organisation (CMO)
- Organising the CMO communication structure
- Applying methods for communication between CMO teams
- Importance and role of the Support Team in the CMO
- The way stress affects the brain and impacts communication between teams
Module 5: Impact and Stakeholders
- Crisis impact areas and potential consequences
- Importance of the crisis environment analysis
- Identifying stakeholders and dividing them into target groups
- Ownership and responsibilities
Module 6: Crisis Communications
- Understanding the function of crisis communications in the Crisis Management Organisation
- Internal communications and prioritization
- External communications and application of communication strategies
- Relationship with the press and proper crisis response communication
Module 7: Reputation Management
- Ownership of reputation management
- Brand identity, image and reputation
- Basics of reputation management
- The role of trust in building a good reputation
- Identification of reputational issues
Module 8: Managing Social Media
- Social media developments and their impact on crisis communications
- Risk response strategies
- Using social media during a crisis
- Pros and cons of using social media in crisis communications
Module 9: Crisis Simulation
The course ends with a simulated, interactive tabletop exercise that tests the organization’s Crisis Management Plan and its capability to respond to a simulated emergency, disaster or crisis situation. The exercise is built on SECO Institute’s fictional company Bicsma. Students act as its crisis management team and will bring into practice the crisis methodology and exercise the specific crisis management team roles as learned throughout the course. (For In Company trainings, this exercise can be tailored to the specific requirements of our client).
About the Exam
The Crisis Management Practitioner Course is the second level of the SECO-Institute Crisis Management Certification Track. The exam is included in your training fee but governed and carried out by the SECO – Institute. Upon successful completion, you will receive the S-ITSP certification title and a digital badge.
- Exam language: English
- Type of exam: online exam (you must reserve this exam yourself)
- Type of questions: 40 multiple choice questions
- Exam time: 60 minutes
About the certificate
The CMP certification exam tests your real-world crisis management skills. By passing the CMP certification exam and earning a SECO-Crisis Management Practitioner (S-CMP) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to:
- Identify roles, responsibilities and competencies for an internal crisis organisation;
- Allocate resources to the crisis management organisation;
- Identify reputational risks and continuity risks;
- Draw up a crisis management plan;
- Handle a crisis in line with crisis management best practices;
- Evaluate your crisis management plan and identify areas for improvement;
- Chair a crisis management team meeting;
- Inform employees about a crisis;
- Monitor media during a crisis;
- Compile a basic external crisis communications strategy, with a special focus on handling social media and the press; how to draft crisis press releases
- Plan, set up and run crisis simulation exercises
What are the benefits of an S-CMP certificate?
An S-CMP certificate enables you to demonstrate core competencies employers look for in crisis management professionals: the ability to lead a crisis team, the ability to contribute to planning and strategy, the ability to actively mitigate a crisis situation, and the ability to analyze performance and propose measures. If you are considering a career in crisis management or crisis communications, S-CMP is an important step to take towards your goal. The certificate is particularly suitable for professionals who are actively working towards a career as a crisis communications specialist, a crisis communications spokesperson, a crisis coordinator, or a crisis manager.
- Course times: 9 am to approximately 4:30 pm. The coffee is ready at 8:30.
- Lunch is included and consists of a buffet with, among other things, fresh sandwiches. Do you have allergies or dietary requirements? Please communicate this in time.
- Training location:
Quinten Matsijslei 25
- By participating in a course or training you agree with our terms and conditions
Crisis Management PractitionerStars: 04-11-2021
- Online Live Training
- Language: English
- 5 sessions of 4,5 hours
- Exam voucher included
Book as incompany or stay up to date
Book as incompanyStart date in accordance
- At your location or ours
Not right nowbut keep me posted
- Enter your e-mail and preferences