What will you learn?
- 9Factors that may trigger a crisis, what crisis management activities should be performed in each stage
- 9Crisis management strategy and organization
- 9Effective internal and external crisis communications, Stakeholder analysis, crisis communication and reputation management
- 2 course days
- 8 hours of self study
- €1.395,- excluding VAT
Mariette is passionate about her profession. One of her talents is to translate strategy into a concrete action plan. She is pragmatic and result driven. During her lessons she enthusiastically shares her knowledge about spokesperson.
The knowledge that Mariette shares during her training is relevant because people often find it difficult to deal with the press in crisis, because you do not always have immediate control over the situation and you mainly want to handle the information with care. With the tips and tricks that are given, you can check the situation faster and have a pleasant contact with the press.
Michiel: “A crisis is one of the most vulnerable and most challenging moments of a government or private organization. Being prepared and successful at the time is not only an ethical duty, but also essential for the future of the organization. Increasing vulnerability and complexity of public and / or private organizations require optimal deployment, including in the form of education, training and practice! That is why I am very close to the students during the courses and try to provide answers and / or solutions for their specific questions and experiences as much as possible!”
Sjoerd van der Schuit
After having worked as an army officer for about 20 years, Sjoerd made the switch to the fire department in The Hague as deputy commander. He then became Regional Commander in Limburg North. In the latter position he has combated many crises and disasters. As an operational leader, he has extensive experience in dealing with crisis and advising local administrations and professionals.
Sjoerd is a professional with a lot of experience in how to deal with a crisis from the first moment until well into the recovery phase when the recovery of normal business is important.
About the Crisis Management Foundation course
Crisis Management Foundation (CMF) introduces you to the fundamentals of effective crisis management and crisis communications. In the course, you will familiarise yourself with the crisis management lifecycle, and you will learn what activities you need to perform in each crisis-stage to work towards successful recovery. You will understand how an internal crisis organisation functions and what resources it needs to perform its tasks. You will acquire the basics of crisis management planning and reputation management; and you will gain insight into best practices for managing employee and media communications during a crisis.
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for absolute beginners interested in learning the basics of crisis management and crisis communications. If you already have a good understanding of crisis management principles and you would like to gain more in-depth knowledge, we advise you to register for the Practitioner level.
This is an entry-level course. No previous knowledge or experience is required.
Classroom training or Online Live?
- Classroom Training: You’re our guest and threated as such
When you take our Classroom Training you are our guest, and that’s how we’ll threat you! You’ll train in an inspiring training environment handpicked based on the highest quality standards. All trainings include a delicious lunch, when you register to your training you can indicate any dietary requirements that we should consider.
- Online Live Training: Prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work
For those of you preferring an online experience, we offer Online Live Training through the SECO – Institute Online Learning Platform based on BigBlueButton, a secure platform specifically designed for Online Training that requires collaboration and (hands on) exercises. Course materials are delivered via a designated Student Portal prior to your training. For the SECO – Institute trainings, the examination is also conducted online via a certified Proctor. Everything you need to prepare, train and certify from the comfort of your home or work.
* Our classroom trainings are delivered in Dutch or English, depending on the composition of the student group
* Our Online Live Trainings are delivered either in Dutch or in English. Make sure that you register for the right class!
At the start of the training you will receive the course materials through our student portal. The course materials are in English and the language during the course is either English or Dutch, depending on the students participating.
The following is included:
- The SECO-Institute course material
- The online SECO Institute Crisis Management Foundation exam
- 1 year free SECO-Membership when you pass the exam
- A delicious lunch
Module 1 – Introduction to managing a crisis
Understand what factors may trigger a crisis and learn what crisis management activities should be performed in each stage of the crisis. Learn how a Crisis Management Organisation should operate, and what aspects should be included in an organisation’s crisis management strategy.
- Definition of crisis, crisis management and crisis communications
- The relationship between crisis management and business continuity management
- The characteristics and impact of a crisis
- The Crisis Management Organisation
- The Crisis Management Plan
- The crisis management process
Module 2 – Reputation Management
Understand the importance of reputation management. Learn what measures an organisation can take to build and maintain a good reputation.
- Making reputation a priority
- Crisis communication and reputation management
Module 3 – Internal and external crisis communications
Learn how to enhance the effectiveness of your internal and external crisis communications. Perform a stakeholder analysis to improve your crisis communications, and learn how to handle (social) media platforms effectively during a crisis. Understand what additional factors you will need to deal with in a cross-border crisis situation.
- Communication within the Crisis Management Team
- Internal crisis communications
- External crisis communications
- Structured approach to handling social media and the press
- International crisis management
About the Exam
The Crisis Management Foundation Course is the first level of the SECO-Institute Crisis Management Certification Track. The exam is included in your training fee but governed and carried out by the SECO – Institute. Upon successful completion, you will receive the S-ITSF certification title and a digital badge.
- Exam language: English
- Type of exam: online exam (you must reserve this exam yourself)
- Type of questions: 40 multiple choice questions
- Exam time: 60 minutes
About the certificate
- By passing the CMF certification exam and earning a SECO-Crisis Management Foundation (S-CMF) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to
- Identify a crisis situation;
- Correctly identify crisis-stages and the actions appropriate to each stage;
- Understand the importance of the “golden hour”;
- Understand the structure and function of crisis management, support, communication, damage assessment and recovery teams;
- Identify priorities in the event of a crisis;
- Understand the fundamental principles of reputation management;
- Perform a basic stakeholder analysis for crisis communications;
- Apply basic employee and media crisis communications principles.
What are the benefits of an S-CMF certificate?
An S-CMF certificate demonstrates that you have a good understanding of the fundamentals of crisis management, reputation management and crisis communications. If you are considering a career in crisis management or crisis communications, S-CMF provides you with an excellent opportunity to enter the industry and advance your skills with higher-level crisis management trainings. The certificate is particularly suitable for professionals in public relations, business and administration, facility management and security. If you work in a similar role, S-CMF may be your opportunity to take your first step towards becoming a crisis communications specialist, a crisis communications spokesperson, or a crisis manager. S-CMF also has benefits for managers and start-up owners who are new to crisis management and wish to prepare for implementing a crisis management plan in their organization.
- Course times: 9 am to approximately 4:30 pm. The coffee is ready at 8:30.
- Lunch is included and consists of a buffet with, among other things, fresh sandwiches. Do you have allergies or dietary requirements? Please communicate this in time.
- Training location:
Quinten Matsijslei 25
- By participating in a course or training you agree with our terms and conditions
Crisis Management PractitionerStarts: 04-06-2020
- Online Live edition
- Language: Dutch
- All Dates: 4, 11, 18, 25 june and 2 july 2020
Book as incompany or stay up to date
Book as incompanyStart date in accordance
- At your location or ours
Not right nowbut keep me posted
- Enter your e-mail and preferences